Apple Pickin’ Time!

This year the apples ripened a little early because of all the moisture we got this summer and the nice weather.  So we had to move the pickin’ outing up by a couple weeks.  I remember last year’s outing rather well… I certainly remember all the walking that sent me into labor 3 days later!

Bill was out of town this year at a Nebraska Husker’s game, so Alexis, Noah and I had to find other company… AKA, the KELO crowd.  We met up with the Dunsmoors, Hansons & Elsens for a fabulous day at the orchard.  Alexis was right at home and knew exactly what to do!

IMG_5071 IMG_5075

Noah needed a little more direction, but got the hang of it quickly.

IMG_5077

Bella and Alexis got along great as usual, posing for pictures & taking giant bites out of their freshly picked apples.  I think Alexis ate about 3 while we were out there.  She’d ask me to “open” one for her by taking a bite out of it to get it started.

IMG_5080

Since it was just me with both the kids, a diaper bag and a 20 pound bag of apples, Ben was nice enough to offer to carry Noah around a little.  Thought it was cute to see the guys all standing around, holding diaper bags & all.

IMG_5084

IMG_5072

IMG_5088We took our pick home and got to work making good use of it all.  I was very proud of myself to figure out how to make applesauce, which the kids LOVED!!!!  Can’t even believe how easy it was!  I just cut up a crock pot full of peeled apples, added some sugar, cinnamon and water and let it cook down for 6 hours on low.  FABULOUS!

Then I got the crazy idea to learn how to can.  I mean, I had so many apples left, I still didn’t really know what to do with them.  So, we bought some stuff and I went to a seminar at the library to get all my questions answered, and got back to work in the kitchen.  I cooked up another batch and was able to get 3 jars of applesauce canned.  We’ll have to see how they do & whether I REALLY preserved them.  Fingers crossed.

mms_picture

Comments