The 2012 Sioux Falls Air Show

IMG_0570Every couple years, the Air Show comes to town at the South Dakota Air National Guard base.  They get the Blue Angels and some awesome military aircraft to perform.  This was the first year we got to go and the kids LOVED it!

IMG_0574 IMG_0581 IMG_0584 IMG_0591 Because it’s on the air base, Brent and Chris have to work the weekend.  Chris was working the flight line the day we went so Brent got to be our personal guide and walk around the aircraft with us. 

Bill’s work, EROS, also was a sponsor for the event so we got access to a tent and roped off area right up against the flight line.  They brought in food and water, which was a necessity because of the heat!  I got to play with my new camera and took HUNDREDS of photos!  I just wish I had taken my photography class (which I took in September) before the event to better understand how to capture the details of the planes and tweak my lighting.  I still got some that turned out okay though.    IMG_0594 IMG_0609 IMG_0623  IMG_0637IMG_0653 I tried to get as good of shots as I could with a toddler on my shoulders.  YEP! Noah sat on my shoulders for most of the time while I was trying to capture jets shooting across the sky.  (I also didn’t have time to tweak any of them in photoshop other than cropping them a little in my blog program. ENJOY!)

IMG_0680 IMG_0702 IMG_0717 IMG_0774 IMG_0846 IMG_0952 IMG_0977IMG_1040 IMG_1125IMG_1143When the show was over, we took a walk to some of the other big planes we didn’t get to see and that’s when the kids spotted the inflatables.  Honestly, after sitting in the sun and heat for so long, I’m not sure how they still had the energy to take off running across the field, but they did!  Determination, I suppose.

IMG_1153 IMG_1157 IMG_1160

Future Air Show reminders: You can never have enough water and the shuttles are a worthwhile consideration.  While they may be out of the way and have lines, it is likely better than being exhausted and having to walk as far as we did to the car with two kids and equipment.

Comments