I DECLARE! This Is Our Last Weekend Of Diapers

Okay, it’s no secret that I’m really writing this in October, trying to play catch-up on a blog that got severely neglected over the summer… but this really IS what happened.

We don’t get to the Cities very often, so I figured the best time to try potty training was the week after a trip, giving us the maximum time before a road trip or sleeping in a hotel bed for the first time in underwear. 

We prefer to stay in hotels rather than with family when traveling at this stage because the kids are just so unpredictable.  Meltdowns can come at anytime.  Fun people (relatives) can be a distraction in trying to go to bed (while we as parents are ready to CRASH!), and it just seems easier to unpack and re-pack and make sure you get everything.  The kids got their own beds this time.  And they were huge!

IMG_2675 IMG_2678Noah went to sleep feeling like a king.  He was very eager to crawl up in the super BIG, big boy bed!  And he fully took advantage of it too… this is how I found him in the morning…
IMG_2680 Okay, now the looking back part.  Noah was probably one of the easiest kids to potty train.  He had absolutely no interest in the toilet or being associated with it in the weeks before potty training.  I did some reading in preparation, I heeded all the warnings, I stocked up on underwear and potty treats and prepared to do a lot of laundry.  Then, the following weekend when we said, “no more diapers,” there were NO MORE diapers!
The first few days were a little rough.  Yes, we went through a pair of underwear about every hour.  But he did not wet the bed at nap or overnight.  The weekend overall was a bit rough so I was a little unsure about what to do about day care on Monday.  But I decided we weren’t going to accomplish anything if we didn’t take that leap.  So I just looked at them with a sheepish grin and said, “he’s not in a diaper.  Here are some extra underwear.”

I think it was a matter of two weeks of bringing home a pair of wet underwear a few times a week and then - nothing.  He did SO great!  I thought boys were supposed to be difficult in this area.  Noah, not so much.  So, to anyone who has a boy and is worried about taking the leap, just have faith and a positive attitude (don’t listen to any of the naysayers), and JUMP into the world of NO DIAPERS!

P.S. It was also fun months later when the kids came home and I asked whether they had a good day and they exclaimed, “Wyatt went poop in the potty!” It was a good day indeed!

Comments